www.p2pbg.com

Моля влез или се регистрирай.

Влез с потребителско име, парола и продължителност на сесията
Експертно Търсене  

Новини:

Автор Тема: How to install Win XP from Flash Drive  (Прочетена 12872 пъти)

0 Членове и 1 Гост преглежда(т) тази тема.

M.Schumacher

• SuperUploader
  • Неактивен Неактивен
  • :Юни 03, 2005, 11:17:37 am
  • Публикации: 926
  • Торент Клиент: uTorrent
  • Профил в bpoke.com: http://MSchumacher.bpoke.com
How to install Win XP from Flash Drive
« -: Юли 06, 2008, 02:38:32 am »
Има много начини да се направи ето един, който открих.
Цитат
So I may be late on this, but I found it difficult to find the information via google. The following is the method I used to make this happen.

I have a Fujitsu laptop with a 60g disk drive. I got a bunch of spyware and a couple virus' that I couldn't get rid of, so I needed to do a fresh XP install. The dvd controller went bad on the motherboard and I didn't have a floppy drive or external cd drive so I used a 20G USB drive instead. It was really quite simple. (provided your bios supports booting from USB devices.)

*NOTE - after doing this, my root drive on the laptop is now D, instead of C. I followed directions on M$ support page, but this caused issues and had to reinstall.

So here it is:

Tools/Hardware needed:

1 external USB drive large enough to hold the contents of the WIN XPSP2 disk and space for the setup files when you initialize the fresh install.

1 WINXP SP2 setup disk. (i used my backup copy that i'd made from the original)

1 WIN98SE boot disk IMG (i obtained mine from bootdisk.com)

Boot files from an XP machine or disk (NTDETECT.COM, NTLDR, BOOT.INI)

A program to view the contents of the WIN98SEC.IMG. (i used the trial version of MagicISO)

HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool

Steps:

On a working xp computer, connect your USB disk drive

Open your WIN98SEC.IMG and copy the files to a directory on a working 2k/XP computer.

Use the HP USB format tool and format using FAT32. Select the option for the DOS startup disk and point it to the directory where your WIN98SEC files are.

***after the format is complete, you should have a bootable USB drive with the needed commands to format the hard drive needing the fresh XP install. you should test this now to be sure***

*Note, You may need to manually copy over the other files from the WIN98SEC to your USB hard drive as the HP program only adds the MS-DOS startup files (i think). Either way, if they're not there after the format, copy them over.

Make a folder on the root of the USB drive called "WINXPPRO" Copy all the files/directories from the WINXP SP2 disk into this folder.

Connect your USB drive to the computer you will install XP on.

Make sure you set your bios to boot from your USB drive.

Boot your computer to the command prompt. (my option was pressing Shift+F5)

***at this point your USB disk will be drive C, drive to install windows on will be D, and will be referred to as such***

From C:\ type SMARTDRV. Do this from the command prompt everytime you reboot. This will help things run quicker (i think).

We now need to format and partition D. (we'll have 2 partitions. A Primary (D:), and an Extended (E:) From C:\ type FDISK

Create a primary partition on your D: drive (mine is 6G)

Create an extended partition of 900MB (will be known as drive E:)

Leave the rest alone for now

Reboot

Format both D: and E: as FAT32 partitions. (from C: type FORMAT D:, reboot, then FORMAT E:)

Reboot

We now want to get the WINXP SP2 setup disk files to E:

At the command prompt, type E: to make sure you're on that disk

type MD WINXPPRO

type XCOPY C:\*.* /A /E. This will copy everything over to your E drive. (this took a couple hours when i did it since it copied over 7,000 files including directories)

Reboot

Now you have all the files you need on your E drive to run setup without worrying about the USB drivers loading when you setup XP.

from the C:\ prompt, type E:

E:\>

type SMARTDRV

type CD WINXPPRO

type CD I386

type WINNT

*Note - you'll need to keep your USB drive plugged into the computer until after Windows is installed completely.*

WINXP setup will now run. It should automatically show that E:\WINXPPRO\I386 is the location of the windows files. If not, change it so it is.

let setup do its thing. when the computer reboots, you'll see 2 choices to boot to. 1 is XP upgrade/setup, the other is WINDOWS. Always choose the XP UPGRADE/SETUP option.

Choose the 6G partition (D:) to install Windows on. When asked to format, choose FAT32 (you can upgrade to NTFS later).

Setup will get to a point that asks for file "asms" on the SP2 CD. it will give a default option of GLOBALROOT\.....\.....\DEVICE\.....\I386 (or whatever).

Type E:\WINXPPRO\I386 (you may want to highlight and press ctrl+c so you can paste it from here on out) and press enter.

Whenever a dialogue box pops up asking for a file, just paste the E:\WINXPPRO\I386 in there and press enter.

Once windows setup completes, you will be able to use your C: to boot to WINXP. Once you have verified this, log on to Windows XP, take your XP boot files (NTDETECT.COM, NTLDR, BOOT.INI) and paste them on the root of D. Then go to Disk Management, select D and make the partition active. This will allow you to boot XP without your USB drive attached.

You can then go in through disk management and delete the E: partition and create a large extended partition for all non-system files and programs. This keeps everything separate in the event that you should have to reload the OS at a later time.

Voila! should be done now. Install your drivers and programs and let it roll.

Like I said earlier, you're windows root is now D: instead of the normal C, so keep that in mind when installing new programs.

I tried changing the root drive letter from D: to C: using instructions from the M$ support site, but hosed my install and had to start over from setup.

Hope this is useful to some people. Email me with questions/comments.

Thanks.
Активен

M.Schumacher

• SuperUploader
  • Неактивен Неактивен
  • :Юни 03, 2005, 11:17:37 am
  • Публикации: 926
  • Торент Клиент: uTorrent
  • Профил в bpoke.com: http://MSchumacher.bpoke.com
Re: How to install Win XP from Flash Drive
« Отговор #1 -: Юли 06, 2008, 02:41:48 am »
Още нещо интересно
Цитат
Well, you went through a lot of work, most of which is not really needed (mind you I do not want to criticize your work, just simplify the steps.
1) use (on another working PC) the Hp format tool (or an alternate means) to format the USB stick, the utility will ask for the DOS files, point it to a location where following files are:
IO.SYS
MSDOS.SYS
COMMAND.COM
(these are the system files for Windows 9x)
2) Check that the stick boots ok on the target computer
3) Take the stick back to the other PC and add to its root the following files:
SYS.COM(not needed, thanks to UwOrtWaLt)
FORMAT.COM
FDISK.EXE <-Note these are the files from FREEDOS FDISK 1.21
FDISK.INI <- that you can find here: http://www.23cc.com/free-fdisk/
XCOPY.EXE
XCOPY32.EXE
XCOPY32.MOD
4) Now make a \i386 directory in it and copy to it all the contents of an already SP2 slipstreamed XP
5) Boot the target computer from the stick
6) At the DOS prompt C:\ > type FDISK [ENTER], then select 2nd hard disk (i.e. the one inside the PC) and FDISK it with a Primary FAT32 partition of appropriate size
7) Reboot and, at the dos prompt, type FORMAT D: [ENTER]. (not needed, thanks to UwOrtWaLt)
8) Reboot and, at the dos prompt, type SYS C: D: [ENTER] (not needed, thanks to UwOrtWaLt)
7) Reboot and, at the dos prompt, type FORMAT D: /S
9) type MD D:\i386 [ENTER] (not needed, xcopy will make the directory)
10) 8) Type xcopy c:\i386 d:\i386\ /S /A /V [ENTER]
11) 9) Reboot after taking the stick out
12)10) Type c:\i386\winnt.exe [ENTER]

This way your fixed drive will remain C:

The above is done assuming that:
1) You are ok with a System partition FAT32
2) You do not want to use third party tools (except the said FREEDOS FDISK)
(hint, since all files in the \i386 directory comply with 8.3 naming, and since the problem is the extreme slowness of the USB stick, zipping the \i386 directory, copying the zipped file, then unzipping it can save you a lot of time)

There is an alternate way to do the above, hinted here:
http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=61384
http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...533;entry426494
by directly starting the XP setup though setupldr.bin renamed to NTLDR
and another one using BartPE (link in last post i the above thread).

jaclaz

P.S.: if you want to change the drive letter of a XP install (mind you, it is tricky business) the instructions are NOT these ones:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307844
but these ones:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=223188
which, if followed will lead you to a system to which you will not be able to log in, unless you do what is suggested here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/249321/
After having (hopefully) rebooted OK, you will still need to use a tool like registrar lite to find occurrences of D:\ in the Registry and change them to C:\, otherwise some utilities will not work.
Активен